Thursday, July 10, 2008

Suzanne



Next week I am going to see Leonard Cohen play in London. This is a show that I am really excited about. The first Leonard Cohen song I ever remember listening to was 'Suzanne'. I was thirteen. I vividly remember how hearing these words and this music together instantly changed my whole world.

Leonard Cohen has stated in interviews that the story of in the song was about an encounter in Montreal with the wife of sculptor Armand Vaillancourt, Suzanne Verdal.

Cohen recently described the song as the best of his whole career. The song has been recorded by many artist including Judy Collins, Joan Baez, Nina Simone, Neil Diamond & Fairport Convention. Below are two of my favorite versions and Cohen's original.


MP3: Leonard Cohen - Suzanne
MP3: Bridget St John - Suzanne
MP3: Françoise Hardy - Suzanne

Leonard Cohen on Myspace
Bridget St John on Myspace
Françoise Hardy on Myspace

Support The Artist. Buy. Buy. Buy.

No comments: