Monday, October 05, 2009

Back


It's been a while... I guess for long periods of this year there has been little in the way of new music that has really excited me. Much of my time has been invested in some fantastic re-issues, The Beatles re-masters, the Neil Young Archives and the amazing Big Star box 'Keep An Eye On The Sky' to name but three. Anyway, to cut a rather dull and pointless story on the meaninglessness of existance short, I am back and this time I hope to actually deliver a consistent number of posts before I lose faith again.


There has been plenty going on and I hope to post on some exciting new discoveries in the next week or so, but random things that spring to mind include the hit and miss (but more often than not hit rather than miss) Beck Record Club. The concept being that Beck and assorted musician friends go into the studio and re-record a "classic album" in it's entirety in one take. So far 'The Velvet Underground and Nico' and 'Songs Of Leonard Cohen' have been tackled, but with the promise of Skip Spence's 'Oar' recorded with Wilco, still to come, this is a project that it seems worth keeping an eye on. A new album nearly completed from Damien Jurado, produced by Richard Swift and hopefully out before the end of the year. The slow filtering in of various albums of the decade lists (I love lists) as well as new records from Alela Diane, Espers, The Flaming Lips, Hush Arbors and Karl Blau amongst others make the onset of winter quite appealing.

MP3: Leon Russell - I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (from the album 'Hank Wilson's Back)

No comments: